Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I'm Back!

Wow, I had no idea it had been so long since I blogged. Guess I've been doing really well so had nothing to say - ha! ha! Actually, I've just been very busy, mostly with traveling. Not a lot to complain about, well, except physical pain which has given me a different kind of humility.

I've judged others who are in chronic pain for no apparent reason. I've thought that they should exercise more, lose weight, or meditate. Now I know that sometimes, one cannot control physical ailments. I've tried almost everything for my current chronic pain and the best thing to do is rest.

Unfortunately, when I rest too much, I tend to get depressed which is a different kind of pain. My solution, just for today? I tried other kinds of exercise: one is writing quickly at my keyboard in order to get out a lot of frustration and exercise my brain cells - the other is to bicycle rather than walk.

The latter was always my favorite form of exercise but when my doctor told me I should walk instead because it is weight-bearing, I stopped. Then a friend of mine in Europe told me that older people there bicycle when walking is painful and do just fine. So other than the fact that the hills around here are difficult for someone who hasn't biked in a while, I was able to move virtually pain-free.

So even in our darkest hour when we think there is no way out, that we have run out of choices, that there is no solution, if we "keep an open mind" and "listen and learn" we often hear just what we need to hear. My brain woke up and got out of its depression by using my negative energy, feeling down and frustrated and a bit angry, to write. And my body woke up aerobically when I discovered an old favorite form of exercise.

I've also learned that I can accomplish just as much mentally, physically, and spiritually by doing a little bit at a time rather than a bunch all at once, which is how I used to operate. I'm even beginning to practice the piano and vocalize a bit. I'm not spending hours a day on anything and finding I can fit so much more in a day when I stop thinking I have to do everything in blocks of two hours.

So I'm back to blogging because "just for today" I had a few extra minutes :-)

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Friday, November 05, 2010 5:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and found many of the postings helpful. I've been in Al-Anon for 10 years but am experiencing confusion, resentment about the program. Not sure where the feelins are coming from. Also some difficulties with my Sponsor. How do you use a Sponsor? How important is a Sponsor to a long time member who has worked the Steps? How often should one keep in touch with the Sponsor? My Sponsor is very busy with service work & because of my schedule I don't see her often unless we attend the same meeting. Even then it's hard to talk to her in all the hubbub after the meeting. I just don't feel she's available. I have other members who I can talk to but thought I should go to my Sponsor first with my questions. I really like this woman but not sure if our relationship is working right now. Maybe you can give me some insights. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home