Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Something's Happening...

Something's happening and it's "magical"...

First, I asked God for a good parking spot last week at the busiest shopping mall in town because I had a quick errand, not much time, and had had a particularly difficult day (having nothing to do with the holiday season). I got a front row spot immediately. So when I left, I prayed that the person getting my spot would be someone else who was having an extra hard day. I assume God answered my prayer.

Second, I went to the grocery store today and from the looks of the parking lot, it was very crowded due to holiday dinner shopping and a snowstorm coming. I didn't pray for a spot, but turned on my blinker when someone was leaving. Just as I went to pull in, another car pulled through from the other side. HOWEVER, when the driver saw me, he backed up and gave me the spot!

I pulled in and waved at him, mouthing the words "Thank You!!" He was not, by the way, the elderly gentleman one would expect to do such a kind deed, but a young man driving a yellow "hot rod" and at any other location might have appeared to be a member of a gang. I said a prayer for him, that he would be blessed in some way this holiday season.

Third, just today I wished for a cup of Christmas tea with a dear friend and then she asked me to drop by. Her table was lit with a balsam candle and set with beautiful red and white dishes along with her homemade Christmas cookies and teas for me to choose from. I felt loved by her and by God. This had nothing to do with parking spots, but with suddenly asking for things and being aware of God giving them to me.

If God is that thoughtful and giving in small things, a friend said to me, then He/She is no doubt wanting to bless me in the big things. I just need to ask, believe, and be open to how my prayers are answered. May all your prayers be answered for your highest good this holiday season and may your 2010 be the best year yet in your 12-step recovery!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Di-Git said...

Thanks for the posts this year

 
At Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:28:00 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

I really appreciate this today. We too have a storm coming and it was insane! The parking lot was like every man for himself and then the store! Woah! I felt that feeling rising in my chest (anxiety that used to be OUT OF CONTROL before Al Anon). Then I remembered some of my wiser friends in the program and how they say, "just be in the moment". I thought, "hey, it's 3PM, I'm going home to an empty house to be alone in it all night). So, I made a point to walk slowly, wait quietly, park my cart out of people's way when I was having to study a shelf. Then half way through the store I began noticing others like myself (not a lot of them...just one here and there). They too meandered around with a pleasant smile and lots of eye contact. I thought, AH! Healthy People! Woah! Wait! Could I be becoming one of them? sigh. Maybe. So, it was these one's I smiled at in the store, that knowing gaze of serenity and joy. I also used that feeling when I saw a young father barking at his boys to "leave each other alone"...they'd been smiling at each other and impulsively put there foreheads together and where grinning at each other while they sort of rubbed forheads. Just the cutest thing, but in his harried state couldn't see it. I prayed that he'd come to embrace them sometime after they left the store today. Ah well, Merry Christmas.

 
At Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know that I know that I know what you are saying is so true..every day that I pray for open eyes and an open heart. I am so glad you had a day of open eyes!

Namaste (and pass a cookie, please)

 
At Friday, December 25, 2009 7:51:00 AM, Blogger Kathy M. said...

Lovely post. Thank you.

 
At Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Garnet said...

It sounds like you had a day full of grace. It's so nice to look at the world and imagine god's blessing falling on everyone...

 
At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:18:00 PM, Anonymous Mike said...

thanks for the post.
Yes, the holidays can bring such joy to so many. Paying nice deeds forward is not about things coming back to you, it just makes ya feel good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home