Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Saturday, November 28, 2009

GOD, GRANT ME THE SERENITY AND FAST!!!

I usually sleep until 7 a.m. but I heard a thump this morning at 5:30 and it was my mother falling down the stairs. Well, she just missed the last step. She's okay with her feelings bruised more than anything. But you'd have thought the world had come to an end. So I'm TIRED and now ANGRY after trying to have a quiet time and listening to about the 100th complaint in the last two days about my coffee being too strong and bitter. So I went into the kitchen and got out a different brand of coffee and handed it to my mother and said "Here, you can use this to make your own coffee in the pot I put in your room." Then I left the kitchen.

I wanted to go on and say that at least I make a pot of coffee for my guests (not to mention that I put coffee and a small pot in your room so you could make your own) when you don't make coffee for us. My parents each have their own single-cup pot and we aren't allowed to touch my mom's because she has it set up for her first cup. But there's been no thank you for anything, only complaints, or at least that's what I've heard. It's all I heard yesterday when we went to Whole Foods for coffee, how bad the coffee was because it was too strong. I used up my water bottle watering down their coffee.

I could go on and on but I won't bore you. Let's just say that I have a long way to go in my recovery process, and THANK GOD I HAVE AN AL-ANON MEETING IN A HALF HOUR!!! My goal in this life is that "unconditional serenity" I've only recently heard about, that I can be serene regardless of what is going on around me, including when my sleep has been interrupted and I am tested beyond my human patience. So GOD, GRANT ME THE SERENITY AND FAST!!! Thanks for listening.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

boy, oh, boy do I understand. I am glad at this point that I can think things without saying them. I can also share them with my sponsor and vent in a healthier way. Good reminder post.

 
At Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just started al-anon, hope it helps, I usually sleep until 7:30am and have been waking at 4:30am without being able to get back to sleep. My mind races with angst.. still searching for my serenity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home