Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Lessons Learned in Service

I am so grateful for service work in Al-Anon. It is what we do after working the 12 Steps for our own recovery. It is part of the 12th Step to pass on our own experience, strength, and hope. But it is also how we keep our recovery going and don't slip back into old ways of thinking and behaving. I am grateful that I've had the opportunity to learn lessons in a safe environment.

I've learned how to communicate with others.

I've learned how to ask for help.

I've learned that I don't have to do it perfectly.

I've learned to show up and shut up.

I've learned that I can love someone with whom I disagree.

I've learned more tolerance for others in their struggles.

I've learned that keeping busy is sometimes the best way to stay out of someone else's business.

I've learned to let go of resentments, old ones as well as new ones.

I've learned to feel my emotions without letting them get the best of me.

I've learned patience with myself and others on this path of recovery from living with the disease of alcoholism.

I've learned that it's never too late to grow up, get out of myself, and stop pointing the finger of blame.

I've learned to not whine and stay away from Pity City, Pop. 1.

I've learned that I can love myself the same way others love me - I can really listen when they compliment me rather than just hear the constructive criticism.

I've learned that even a hopeless case that was me can become the person I was meant to be before I reacted negatively to my parents' behavior.

I've learned that I have always done the best I could, just as my parents did the best they could.

I've learned that the best way to live is to ask God each and every morning to let me be of service, even if some days that service is taking care of myself first and foremost.

Thank you for letting me share.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Saturday, April 04, 2009 7:09:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

great post and one that I needed to hear..thanks for living the 12th step..

Namaste

 
At Sunday, April 05, 2009 5:24:00 PM, Blogger Syd said...

This is great stuff. I find that minding my own business is one of the best things that I can do. I tend to want too much information sometimes. And that means I'm not keeping the focus on me.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:47:00 AM, Blogger USV said...

Thanks a lot for such a great blog, it is helping me a lot. This is a great stuff. I can identify myself with each and every word said on this blog.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:49:00 AM, Blogger USV said...

This is a great blog. I identify myself with Each and every word said here and it is very very helpful to me.Living One day a time is so important.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:03:00 AM, Blogger USV said...

I am realy greatful for this post. It has made me more positive. This is a great stuff.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:03:00 AM, Blogger USV said...

Thanks for such a great blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home