Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Monday, December 29, 2008

The Post-Holiday Blues

I think we all get them at one time or another, the post-holiday blues. Sometimes it's just a natural human feeling, that something we have looked forward to has come and gone and it's back to our normal lives. Other times it's because family gatherings brought out the worst in our dysfunctional families, either in others or ourselves. For me, the holidays brought out the alcoholic behavior in one loved one and the co-dependent behavior in another, and consequently the wanting to fix their relationship in me.


But I didn't stop there, I started thinking about my lack of a relationship with my blood father and how much he has hurt me over the years. I became the victim again, reliving my own feelings when someone who should love me hasn't or can't. Thinking like this, obsessing about someone/something I cannot fix, gets me nowhere fast. Actually, it gets me into a sadness that can lead to despair which can lead to depression. So even though it's okay to feel my feelings, I better make sure I don't let them take over my life again.


So knowing that my goal is serenity and I have lost it, I use the Serenity Prayer to gain acceptance of what I can't fix and understanding of what I can. I can continue to work on myself. I ask myself what I really need today and then do First Things First. I am grateful I have laundry to do - that keeps me busy and less stuck in my head. It is a physical task that is not too taxing. I'm also grateful that I can get a massage today, something that will release my physical pain which could easily be the result of my negative thinking.


Most importantly, I can remember that with God's love and help, I can give myself the unconditional love I so desperately needed as a child and then as the wife of an alcoholic. I can treat myself the way I would treat my child or a good friend. I will stop beating myself up for things I have no control over and for things I have already made amends for. I will also stop beating myself up for being human, for falling short of my own high expectations, and for having the blues. It's okay as long as I remember that I am still okay.

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 29, 2008 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Syd said...

I agree with you. I can feel blue but I also don't want to stay there. I use the Serenity Prayer, my readings, and rest/meditation to get me through. It's normal to feel let down and to think about the past. I just don't go there much anymore.

 
At Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:44:00 PM, Blogger Wait. What? said...

It has not hit yet although I feel it coming and I wish it were'nt - it is as if I am bracing the door against it, not willing to let it in. I do a couple extra hours a week of cardio and those endorphines help somewhat...

Wishing you a happy new year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home