Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Monday, October 20, 2008

My Favorite Season

Fall is my favorite season, so I've been out there enjoying the weather as well as being extra busy with my volunteer work. Oh, how I wish I could just stop time right now and capture this season in a bottle. Yet I can't control the seasons anymore than I can control what's going on in the world. This is a lesson I learned from trying to control the disease of alcoholism, or at least the person with the disease. A lot of those years were certainly a waste of time and energy. If I could only get them back... but regret is also a useless feeling. It does me no good unless it drives me to make amends. Once those amends are made, it is time to move on. Only in this way can I continue to make living amends to others, to myself, and to the world around me. When I am positive, first by loving and forgiving myself, I can more easily forgive the imperfections I see not only in others but in systems and institutions. If I can forgive man in general, then I can "forgive" nature for not always providing the perfect weather. When I do that, I am accepting what is, and I am better able to fully enjoy what is. So off I go again. May your fall be blessed.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Monday, October 20, 2008 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Syd said...

It's my favorite season too. I've found that I would rather enjoy the day than focus on the past. It's over but today is one for living.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home