Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Friday, August 01, 2008

God's Will Should Be Simple

If God loves us, why would He/She make it difficult for us to discover our personal road to serenity? Why do we think that finding God's will for our lives is strenuous and sometimes impossible? I've been struggling with the question "What is God's will for my life?" for years. But guess what, I have been living God's will much of that time simply because I was seeking it. Through working my program and living my life, even in my "failures" I was doing God's will.

My problem is that I measure whether I am doing God's will or not by how good I feel about myself. And feeling good about myself means that I have achieved something worthy of other people's praises. Whereas I used to find contentment in cleaning my house because it gave me joy, now just cooking a meal has no meaning for me unless others take notice. Why do I need this approval of others?

My sponsor tells me that only God and I need to approve of me. But I don't think God is shaking His/Her head every day that I fail to write the great American novel. I think it is my ego that goes to bed every night thinking I've wasted yet another day, not doing God's will. In reality, I am moaning and groaning over not doing my own will which is to achieve some form of greatness.

I don't really get that "My Higher Power wants what's best for me. However, I need to want it, too." (Hope for Today, page 137) Instead, I think that what's best for me is to fulfill my desires. I've got it backwards. What's best for me is wanting what God wants. And what does God really want or ask of me? This is simple, I'm learning. "When I learn to love myself as my Higher Power loves me, I believe I am doing God's will." (Courage to Change, page 206)

So God's will for me first and foremost is that I love myself. To do that, I have to believe that God loves me, even when my parents didn't love me. I have to do the footwork of the Steps in order to achieve forgiveness of them and others and especially of myself. When I truly love myself in this way, I will have balance in my life and be better able to serve others - not just do things to please others.

I'm not quite there yet, but because I am seeking rather than giving up, I am doing God's will, whatever I am doing with my day. I no longer need to beat myself up about not achieving greatness in my own eyes. I need to pat myself on the back for getting on with my life, for getting up every morning and showing up for life. Just blogging today is a sign that I am on the right path. I will leave the results in God's hands, one day at a time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 01, 2008 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Syd said...

I don't know what God has in store for me. But doing his will means that I do my best to live in his image, working on my character defects. I'll never succeed so the journey will be never ending.

 
At Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog this Sunday morning, and was delighted at the memories it stirred in my own Al-Anon recovery over the years. At first, I had to learn to be quiet and listen to others in order to learn enough to simply know that my Higher Power had not deserted me; it was the other way round!

And, there is the point you made about feeling good about one's self: my sponsor handed me a mirror, and reminded me that criticism of God's work was unacceptable! I had to think about that one.

Anyway, to get to the point of my response, I just want to thank you for your words of wisdom. They are quite profound and meaningful to me at this time of my life. I inventory nearly everything I do - just to remind myself to keep the focus on myself (Mind my own business) - knowing that I am God's very special creation, and He loves me, and it is not necessary to compare myself to any one else. Each of us was made for a special purpose by Him. Finding that purpose or gift has been a lifelong journey of excitement for me, and I still enjoy the progress of the search! God bless your spirit!
Hugs, Anonymous #1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home