Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Trap of Obsessive Thinking

Obsessive thinking is like quick sand. Once you fall into it, it's hard to get out. In fact, if you try to fight it, you make things worse. I fell into this trap yesterday and ended up feeling all the bad feelings and remorse I've ever felt, all in the same day! Needless to say it was a miserable day spent fighting with myself in my head. I kept telling myself to be grateful, then to look at the beauty around me, then to remember all the good in my life... all to no avail. I had already gotten myself in too deep. How true the quote on page 141 of Courage to Change:

"If you work on your mind with your mind, How can you avoid an immense confusion?"
Seng Ts'san

So how did I get out of the quicksand? I remembered one of the first tools I got from the Al-Anon program: the Serenity Prayer. Since nothing else had worked, I decided to try it. I said it over and over and before I knew it, all the bad thoughts and feelings were gone, just like the rain clouds I'd been under for almost a week. The sun broke through at the same time I forgot what I had been so upset about. And I ended a miserable day happy and content, enjoying a beautiful pink cloud sunset instead.

Now if I can just remember the next time not to go there, at least not alone: "If there is something I cannot contemplate without becoming obsessed, I will respect that fact and act accordingly. I will gather the strength and support of my Al-Anon program, my friends, and my Higher Power before I try to reason it out." (page 141, Courage to Change)

Lesson learned, again...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Monday, June 16, 2008 7:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where have you been???? We need you out here!

Anon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home