Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Friday, November 21, 2008

Hard Times

A lot of us are going through hard times right now: for some it is financial, for others it is health issues, then others are still grappling with the disease of alcoholism. But what we have in common are the tools of the Al-Anon program to help us deal with any fear and uncertainty that crops up. I myself am using the Serenity Prayer a lot. My current situation is dealing with the grief of losing a loved one, someone I was very close to, and at the same time having another close relative in the hospital. The hard part is that I'm also away from home so trying my best to just live one day at a time, not knowing if I'll be home for Thanksgiving or when I'll see my children or granddaughter again. The fact is that I can't even plan this afternoon, so forget about tomorrow. It's literally one day/one moment at a time. Yet I am grateful for the Al-Anon support I have where I'm at, just when I need it. And email to keep in touch with my sponsor back home as well as sponsees who give me more support than they realize. I also have a service project I can work on at my own pace, knowing that no one expects perfection from me. I also have a sober spouse who is taking care of himself while dealing with many of the same issues as I am. It's a blessing to know that "together we can make it," even when it feels like everything is in limbo - with the help of our HP we don't need to fall apart or lose our serenity or sobriety. I also know that even though I feel weak right now, I am learning to lean more and more on my HP's strength which comes in many forms - such as a great joke when I need a good laugh or a new baby born in the family just two floors down from where my relative is recoverying from surgery... so even though I feel like life is standing still, it is not. Life keeps moving forward and so do I. I continue to grow and learn, especially in the most difficult times. What really helps is knowing that I have a lot of people praying for me right now, so if you're so inclined, I need all the prayers I can get. But especially thanks for letting me share and listening even when I don't feel like I have much to give you - but that's "just for today" knowing that "this too shall pass."

9 Comments:

At Friday, November 21, 2008 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Syd said...

You have my prayers. I too am grateful for Al-Anon and how it has changed my life. I hope that by keeping it in the day, things are going okay for you.

 
At Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:24:00 AM, Blogger Syd said...

I posted a comment on this earlier but for some reason it didn't show up. You have my prayers. And the hard times will get easier I believe.

 
At Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post.. each post I read I get lots of strength..I share it with my other alanon friends. . I very much thankful to you for such a wonderful alanon posts and sharings.. giving us sll strength and hope through it..

 
At Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all I must thank you for such a wonderful daily posts. I pray may God give you strength. We all get strength by reading your wonderful posts. This is really a wonderful blog. Yesterday I was very much upset and read one or two posts from your blog it really gave me strength. I was upset bczy boss fired me and I wad wandering what went wrong why he keep behaving all the time like this firing and shouting at me for no reason. I got the answer from obe of your post thst I can just pray for him I can't change his behaviour.

 
At Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a wonderful post. .I am very grateful for it as it has been giving me and my other alanon friends great strength. I pray for you also that God Give all strength.

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a wonderful post. I really needed such as I am also going through hard times. .Hard times at my work place, my boss is very difficult person at home dry drunk.. but as you have rightly said I am getting more closer to my HP iwho is always there with me every moment every hour and I have built up great bonding of TRUST with my HP. I am very much thankful to you for writing such a great blog as it has been always helpful to me.

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful post. It helps me a lot.i am really very much thankful to you for writing such a great blog..as we all go through hard times ..with our sickness ..bcz of the effects of alcoholism...

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are really writing a wonderful blog.it gives us akk tremendous strength and hope. .I am really very much thankful to you. I pray to God to give you strength always.

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a wonderful post. I really needed such as I am also going through hard times. .Hard times at my work place, my boss is very difficult person at home dry drunk.. but as you have rightly said I am getting more closer to my HP iwho is always there with me every moment every hour and I have built up great bonding of TRUST with my HP. I am very much thankful to you for writing such a great blog as it has been always helpful to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home