Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Monday, August 06, 2007

Gone But Not Gone...

Thank you for missing me. It's a nice feeling. I have been gone from blogging for a while, but I'm still working my program, going to meetings, doing service work, all the really important things. I've also been traveling and going to meetings in places like Rome, Greece, Prague, and Montana. Yes, I live a charmed life these days, but I still live with me and that can be a challenge. I was also in a motorcycle accident and am recuperating from a little head trauma - a great excuse, I've discovered, for my laziness (the doctor says I need to rest) and my motor mouth (speaking before thinking). So I have a lot of reasons for not blogging, but they just aren't good enough anymore, not when other people are suffering from the effects of someone else's drinking. We are in this together, so I'm here to extend a helping hand...

TODAY'S EPIPHANY: Along with new countertops we just got a new sink, so I spent a week searching for the perfect sink protectors like I had for my old sink. Alas, I couldn't find any anywhere that worked, not even online. Then I bit the bullet and went to WalMart, thinking it would serve me right if I found what I needed because I've spent years refusing to shop there for political reasons. Even though WalMart has heard the outcries from the people and changed some of its methods, I continued to nurse my resentments against IT and other giant corporations that have done ME wrong. Well, you guessed it. I found the perfect sink protectors at WalMart, along with some other nifty accessories, and all for a good price. So I was thinking today as I was enjoying my new sink that I bet I've missed a lot of life's gifts while avoiding those people, places, and things I hold grudges against. Like the program friend who once, just once, spoke to me about her religion. And, well, there are a lot of examples. I really am my own worst enemy. God, Just for Today, help me to let go of all my resentments so I can truly enjoy the blessings life has to offer. Amen.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Namenlosen Trinker said...

Hey! I can really relate to the whole WalMart thing. Don't you just hate it when it turns out that our resentments are only hurting us? LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home