Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Friday, December 29, 2006

Letting Go - the Miracle Cure for the Soul!

We're snowed-in here in the Denver area again, but not quite as bad as last week. Enough though that I've sort of lost track of time. There is no real schedule to keep and no place to really go, so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

The thing is, even though I haven't actually been stuck in the snow for over a week, my mind has been stuck in a squirrel cage. I've been obsessing about work-related things that I have absolutely no control over.

So this morning I went to a conference-call open AA meeting. The topic was perfect for me. As I sat at my desk listening to the combined wisdom of about 15 people, I noticed a note under my "How important is it?" rock. It said:

"Letting Go - the Miracle Cure for the Soul!" Me, Sept. 1, 2006

Wow, I thought, here I am almost four months later still struggling with the same thing. Oh, I know I've given it over to my Higher Power, over and over again, but this week I completely forgot and took it back.

I'm an Al-Anon, but it's as if I was walking by a bar and without a thought just walked right in and ordered a drink. I took that bottle of resentment and followed it up with a dose of worry and fell off the stool of serenity.

I've "sobered-up" again and realized that I'm not in charge, no matter how much I try to be. Heck, I can't even get through the piles on my desk when I have nothing but time. Maybe that's good because maybe I would have thrown that note in a drawer somewhere and it wouldn't have been there for me when I needed it the most!

Well, if I don't get back to blogging this weekend, Happy New Year, Y'All!!

3 Comments:

At Saturday, December 30, 2006 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Oh no, I didnt realize you were snowed in too.. well I am glad you can have a confernce call meeting..
and I know for me, I still have to remind myself to let things go.. over and over and over again.I take it back too... LOL my sponser says hey its your idea... enjoy it... just remember progress not perfection... and this too shall pass.. and many more I am sure you know
have a good one and stay warm...

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an awesome post !!!
I have missed you Alanon-Lifer!
Come out and visit your blogger buddies over the weekend and share your wisdom :)
I am sorry you have so much snow these days..geesh..I cannot imagine!
And this from a Canadian !!!
Sending you warm thoughts and thanks
for all you share here :)

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 7:58:00 PM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

I think it amazing that you hace recognition of your condition. More over, you are seeking a solution and applying it. Sometimes our illness regurgitates in a sneaky way, but once it is exposed and we are willing to accept it action and growth will follow.

Happy New Year to you too!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home