Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Back at it...

It's been a while since I blogged, but I have a few good excuses. One is that I've been sick so what energy I had went to the necessary rather than the extras like blogging. The other is that my grown son broke his leg and needed not only help with surgery but moving. I've learned in this program to do for others 1) when they ask and 2) when they can't do for themselves.

So it's been an interesting couple of weeks, to say the least. And now that I'm well and my son is back taking care of himself, I can't go anywhere because we're in the middle of a real live blizzard. Not the kind people think we get all the time here in the Rockies (because the media is in cahoots with the ski industry) but the kind that is dangerous, the kind you don't go out in without provisions in case you get stuck in a snowdrift.

What I've learned in all of this is it's amazing how relaxing life is when I don't spend half my day running around doing things I think are necessary. In reality, most of what I do isn't that important. It's just filler between the important things - eating, sleeping, friends, family, meetings, service work, and, oh, yes, work work...

I'm reminded of an AA speaker who said someone once asked him what he did for a living. His answer was "Oh, you mean what do I do for money, because what I do for a living is work my program." Amen to that, especially in this season of the almighty dollar. May you be blessed with just the necessities with some friends and family thrown in for good measure.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great post!
I have missed you Alanon Lifer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home