Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Sunday, November 12, 2006

What A Difference A Week Makes!

I can't share too much about what has happened in my family this last week except to say that something I considered my fault turns out to be a blessing. So is it now to my credit? Actually, no, no more than it was my fault. It is what it is. I don't have as much power as I thought I did.

However, I do have the Power to love and accept others where they are at today. I have the Power to not judge, to not belittle, to not shame. I have the Power to stand beside those who are hurting and lend a hand should I be asked. And I have the Power to stand up for myself, if necessary.

My Higher Power usually only asks me to be willing. Twice this year, I was willing to do something I could have never done without my years of recovery. Both times, however, I didn't have to follow through. I realize that the lesson was to change my attitude, nothing more and nothing less.

So I look forward to the next lesson and the next and the next...

5 Comments:

At Monday, November 13, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

...and the next and the next and the next. I hear ya!

Will you be adding your site to the Top100 Sober Blogs?

http://soberblogs.gotop100.com/

Have a great week!
G~

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 5:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your entry gave me a focus today that probably helped me stay out of trouble in my relationships and gave me something to think about while I examined some unacknowleged resentments I've been harboring. Maybe now I can kick my stomach flu, too! Thank you for sharing. --An Al-anon Friend

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes!
We live and learn don't we Alanon-Lifer.I love this post..especially where you shared about not judging others.I think that is such a strong sign for many of us that we are being humbled by our own imperfections and just ...live and learn:) Awesome post..thanks for sharing~

 
At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really need to venture into the rooms of Al-Anon.

"I realize that the lesson was to change my attitude, nothing more and nothing less."

Such a victory. Now for the next battle . . .

:)

 
At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:12:00 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said...

Such wonderful lessons we get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home