Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Short Power Outage

I was sitting in my green "meditation" chair this morning doing what I often do, thinking and analyzing yesterday's or last night's events. You know - what did that person mean by that or what could I have done better, blah, blah, blah. In other words - stinking thinking! When all of a sudden, there were these strange sounds in the house, when I was sure I was alone. They were similar to the scratching of a phonograph record (now I'm aging myself!) combined with electronic beeps such as from my answering machine and cell phone, only much louder.

They only lasted a few seconds, but I had to get up from the comfort of my easy chair and determine who or what was causing all the noise. I went to the kitchen/family room area and the sound system from the TV boomed on. I muted it and then realized all the noise had been caused by a short power outage. Yep, all the digital clocks in my life were blinking. But honest, I had never heard so much chaos when this had happened before.

Then I realized that the chaos in my head this morning was very similar - I was just experiencing a short Higher Power outage. I had forgotten to get in touch with my HP first thing, so my thoughts were racing, negative, and unproductive towards my serenity and asking for and doing God's will, just for today. So immediately, I sat down, opened my books, read my readings, wrote in my journal, and got connected to the electricity that is my lifeline.

Sure, now I have to go around the house and set all the clocks, but as I do, I will be reminded that it is like doing the footwork, doing the best next thing that is right in front of me, rather than dwelling on the past, which I can not control, and the future, which is way out of my reach. Sure, I can learn from past errors, but I should never get into the motivations of others or try to figure out the meaning of their words - exaggerating things to make myself out to be the victim. Neither should I dwell on the future - that just gets me into fear of the unknown.

Thank you, God, for the reminder this morning that I should plug into you first thing every morning, even before I get out of bed. Amen!

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh wowsers what an excellent way to relate what was going on in your head to the situation of the eletricity. What a relief to not be consumed by darkness, instead you allowed thr light to shine on your soul.

It is wonderful that we have discovered and are discovering ways to release ourselves from our ill thoughts. We deserve to be free! Thanks for sharing this experience, when I first began reading I got a little scared thinking this was leading to a Halloween thing. LOL.

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 3:44:00 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

OOOH that was a good ananolgy
hey saw you on MC blog and thought I would come over and say HI
HI--

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 7:25:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great way to turn that thinkin around. Good stuff~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home