Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another School Shooting...

Here is a picture of children in Iraq sent to me by a relative serving over there... I hope they're all still alive and well...

I heard it on the radio and stopped to make sure it wasn't here like I thought I heard. But it was, and too close to home again. It takes me back to 1999, when my last child was a senior in high school, and Columbine was just a few miles away. Close enough for a "friend" from my high school days, who flew in from D.C., to show up on my doorstep with a cameraman to interview me and my child - about our feelings. I was so glad my child wasn't awake at the time, or he/she might have slugged him. How do you think we felt? We knew kids in that room. I knew mothers of children in that room. And now I'm wondering if I know the mother of the girl who was shot and is in critical condition today. I certainly know quite a few people who live up in Bailey. And to think I was feeling sorry for myself just a bit ago when my spouse got two phone calls from people wanting to hang out with him. Boo hoo! Where were all my friends? I'm working at home today so have hardly talked to a soul. I know, I know, I could go out and exercise to see people, and then I have some errands to do, but I think I'll just watch the news on the big screen and pray. Pray that somehow this will work towards good for everyone concerned, and that someday this won't be such a comman occurrence, and that I am so thankful that my children got to grow up and become functional adults. Thank you, God, and take care of those parents up in Bailey. And the family of the gunman...

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:05:00 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said...

I had a similar experience today with this. I had 9news.com running all afternoon on my computer at work. And I realized how puny my problems are. I am also praying for that little girl. And I hope to God someone has notified the parents.

Many similarities to Columbine. Very uncomfortable to be in this location today.

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al-Anon Lifer,
I found you via MsManna's blog.
Just wanted to stop by to say Hello and welcome.Always happy to see a new blog and blogger sharing from the heart.Welcome aboard :)
Hope to see you around ..
come on by to visit my blog too anytime..Thanks for sharing~

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:01:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home