Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

God's Sense of Humor

Or is it His timing? I was asked several months ago to speak at a relationship workshop this weekend. I said YES because we say yes to service work, even though at the time I was just coming out of a major depression triggered by a dear relative's death. I don't just grieve like a normal person. I am an Al-Anon, after all, so I over-react to a lot of things, even after years in the program.

Anyway, since then, I have had to deal with major issues in relationships at home, at work, and with extended family. To think that I have any words of wisdom about relationships is absurd. But my Higher Power obviously thinks I do since someone in the program recommended me as a speaker. I am to tell my story with my marital relationship as the focus, so I've decided today to keep it simple. I'll tell how it was, what happened, and what it is like now. I'm going to use Al-Anon literature for props because I have followed the guidelines in them, to the best of my ability, in order to remain on this wonderful path of recovery from the effects of alcoholism in my life.

Thank you, God, that even though I've had a major meltdown just this week, I can still pass on what I have learned to others. It is in our imperfection, after all, that we come together for our common welfare. If we were just a bunch of perfect people getting together to pat each other on the back, we wouldn't be very effective for we would be still be in denial and dishonesty. Have a blessed day, everyone!

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you have all kinds of experience, strength, and hope to pass onto others. Your experience with your sister is part of that!
Your blog reflects your growth and your continuing to work the program.
Peace,
Scout

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...I think this is an important kind of post you shared today because it truly shows the difference we can make when we share about our life with alcoholism and recovery expereinces.
People need inspiration like this.

Thanks for sharing:)

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7:17:00 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said...

I am so grateful for the people who share honestly. We are never perfect. Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home