Al-Anon Lifer

Anonymous sharings from a long-time member of Al-Anon, which is a safe place to recover from the effects of alcoholism in a friend or relative...

Friday, October 20, 2006

Doing the Footwork

I feel like I've already written on this subject, but it is appropriate for me this week and at this stage in my life/recovery to cover it again. I'm at crossroads in three areas of my life: my program, my work, and my physical health. In all three, there is not only change but choice.

In my program, I have come to the end of yet another service term. So do I take another position and take a break from "formal" service work? My HP will let me know. I know after doing some footwork last night that I don't want to keep doing what I'm doing. So glad we rotate out of positions in the program.

In my work, I have decided to stop working more than one part-time job and stick to what I like and am best suited to do. I am in a place right now that allows me to do just that, except there are still choices within my chosen profession. Again, I can trust my HP to guide me by opening doors or closing doors. Again, I have been doing the footwork by knocking on doors.

I've got to say that I find this very uncomfortable, especially at my age. I should have been comfortable in my career a long time ago, except I was a late bloomer for many reasons, one of which was how the disease of alcoholism affected me. But that is for another blog...

Finally, concerning my physical health, I have decided to get back into shape for the best reasons of all, to feel good and prevent health problems as I age. Yes, vanity is still a small part of it, but if that were my motivation, I would have been going to the gym all along. So the footwork this time has been to hire a personal trainer who holds me accountable, much like a sponsor, and gets me to the gym.

It is more than the money I've forked out. It is the person who is going to call me if I don't show up and also the person who encourages me because I do. I'm already getting stronger after only two weeks. I trusted my HP to help me find a personal trainer that fit both my budget and my style. I didn't want a fanatic body-builder or a skinny young thing. So far, so good.

And spending the money on a personal trainer, just when I'm working less, how did I justify that? Well, it is costing me less than I was spending on massages and chiropractors and pain killers just to help relieve me of the pain I was experiencing because I was out of shape. I saw my mother a couple of weeks ago and in her seventies, she is bent over with a cane. No thanks, not if this is something I can control.

I am not completely powerless. I have to do the footwork, and leave the results up to my HP.

Speaking of which, TGIF! Have a good weekend out there in blogland!

2 Comments:

At Friday, October 20, 2006 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sound like you have learned a good deal about who you are and how to take care of that very,important person. Good for you.ODAT in CO

 
At Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:26:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Change can be REALLY uncomfortable can't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home